May 20, 2014

American Girl retiring 4 dolls and bringing 1 back?

Today (May 20, 2014) American Girl announced that they are retiring four of their historical dolls: Ruthie (Kit's friend), Marie Grace & Cecile, and Ivy (Julie's friend). Normally entire collections are retired (Molly, Felicity, etc.) so this is a new concept.

I don't believe Ruthie was very popular so that is probably why she's getting the boot. She's cute and all but she doesn't have very much of a collection or anything. She only has pajamas and a holiday dress besides the actual doll.

Ivy is the only Asian-American historical doll so I would think that AG is going to be creating a new Asian-American historical doll. There still will be the MyAG Asian dolls but usually the historical dolls have a range of races (white, African-American, Asian-American, and Hispanic-American) so AG will need a new Asian doll/character for their historical dolls.

Marie-Grace and Cecile getting pulled already is very odd. They were introduced in 2011 (around August) so they haven't even been around for a full three years. Personally, I didn't see very many getting sold at the store I worked so my guess is that they weren't selling like AG thought they would. I didn't feel the interest in learning their stories like I did with most of the other AG historical dolls. They didn't have a cool time period like Felicity, Addy or Molly or a cool story/series like Kaya or Kit. They were just kind of... there and plain.

Although I am not very interested in any of these dolls, I will probably go to the store and see if any of their stuff interests me enough to buy it. I'm falling into AG's marketing trap and doing what AG wants people to do when things get retired (go buy it before it's gone).

Samantha is coming out of the archives sometime this year so that will probably cause a big rush. She definitely was popular before AG took her off the shelves in 2009. Samantha's "year" is 1904 which means if she was 10 years old during her series, it'd be her "100th birthday" this year. I doubt that's why AG is bringing her back but I also think it's a little too big of a coincidence to ignore. I have heard rumors that her "friend" Nellie will not be returning with Samantha though...

I will update this blog or post if there is any more big news regarding the retirements/returns of any dolls.

2 comments:

  1. Samantha's year is 1904, if she was 10 years old she would have been born in 1894. The year 2014 is NOT a one hundred year anniversary of anything with her! It would be 120 years since her birth and 110 years since the year of her story! She would be 20 years old, 100 years ago!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are totally right! Ha! I was always bad at math :) Thanks for noticing!

      Delete